Welcome to my blog! It’s for visitors, tourists, newcomers, FOPs (Friends of Pittsboro), and guests at my B&B. To begin, a few highlights:
- Pittsboro was established in 1787 as the seat of Chatham County Government.
- Its 1881 courthouse burned down last week but the Commissioners have already voted to rebuild.
- Hillsboro is the main north-south street, part of US 15-501. The main east-west streets are called (duh) East and West (also Business-64). N-S meets E-W in a traffic circle around the courthouse (see #2, it’s sad).
- The population of Pittsboro is almost 3000. Most of Chatham County (pop. 60,000) lives in unincorporated areas. Population is growing.
- Downtown is a great place to browse for art, jewelry, crafts, and clothing.
- People will say “hi” to you on the street.
- The community college‘s programs are cutting-edge. Some unusual ones: sustainable agriculture, green building, natural chef, biofuels, ecotourism, and clay and metal sculpture.
- The online community shares at the Chatham Chatlist.
- I will do separate posts on restaurants but briefly: S&T’s Soda Shoppe on Hillsboro Street is a great place for a banana split; whenever possible I buy lunch at Angelina’s Kitchen, and for dinner I recommend the General Store Cafe across the street from the B&B.
- It’s a community that gives to and volunteers for a gajillion organizations: arts, animals, Habitat, food bank, nature, environment, domestic violence shelters, literacy, kids, seniors.
I intend to update this site twice a week. Comments and suggestions are welcome.